18 February 2012

Dog stamps from Germany

Good morning to you all stamp collectors. Today at Viridian´s Sunday Stamps I have chosen to display my dogs. I don´t really have much on this theme. So here it is:



This fine set of five welfare stamps was issued on 8th February 1996, and is devoted to pedigree dogs. A pedigree is a dog's family tree. It lists the registered names of the dog's parents, grandparents, great-grandparents (etc.) of the dog - most printed pedigrees go to 4 or 5 generations. Other information may or may not be included, such as date of birth, color, registration number, call name, or titles earned. Titles earned are almost always included - Championship, Sire or Dam of Merit, Obedience or Agility titles.

Represented here are 

12 comments:

  1. All lovely dogs. I've yet to meet a Briard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the Briard! Though I am sure his fur needs a lot of grooming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. I have always loved rough collies since I knew one named Meg when I was about 8 or so years old. She belonged to a friend of my mothers who we visited only very occasionally but I was always pleased to see Meg. I also like Chows because they are Chinese and I have a particular fondness for Chinese dogs. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for passing by. I have never had a dog of my own, it is easier to have them on stamps :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am interested in the notation +40 or +80. Did one pay more than the face price as part of a way to raise funds?
    Thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just so much want to hug them all...I have such a soft spot for dogs...esp. for the Collie

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful stamps! When I was a child we had a dachshund which would have been dwarfed by any of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always like pedigree's ornate registered name, not really suitable for everyday, but nice to have a 'Sunday' name. Borzoi's are so elegant. Nice set of stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am seeing all these dogs while watching the Westminster Dog Show, it is neat to see them on the stamps. I have also been trying to figure out the +40 and +20 etc on these (and other) stamps

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your comments. As far as I know, on the first stamp for example, 100+50 its the face value of the stamp. So if it would be in euro you would be paying for it 1 euro and 50 cents.

    ReplyDelete